Do you already have a sound understanding of map reading or at least know the basics but you want to go a little further or simply improve your accuracy, confidence and map reading knowledge? Ever wanted to go into the mountains or off the beaten track?
The course starts with a quick gentle low level walk to ascertain where we need to start with tuition, this then allows us to get the most out of the day rather than spending time going over the elements that you’re already familiar with. Once we know where to start we will aim to confirm, improve & learn the following:
• Correct use of the compass (using it for maximum accuracy).
• Route Planning (Using attack points, aiming off & hand-railing).
• Taking a Bearing from the map & walking on it (Including confirmation techniques).
• Taking a Bearing from the ground & relating it to the map. (Good for location finding).
• Pacing & Timing (Excellent aids to navigation and finding tricky features).
• Finding Features on the Ground (Using the above).
• Tips for low visibility.
The course will take approximately 6-8 hours, or slightly longer should someone need that extra little bit. It’s never happened yet but at the end of the day I want you to go away happy that you can confidently carry out these skills.
If you are unsure about what equipment you might need, click here.
LOCATIONS & COST
WALES, LAKE DISTRICT & PEAK DISTRICT
£60 Per Person (Min of 3 people booking)
£165 for a group booking of 3
£200 for a group booking of 4
£70 Per Person (Min of 3 people booking)
£195 for a group booking of 3
£240 for a group booking of 4
INCLUDED IN THE COST
Navigation training for the day, minimum of 6 hours. (more if it is required).
Ongoing future support by phone & email.
10% OFF all future bookings for any further training.
Travel & Accommodation.
Food & Drink.